January 23, 2012

Table Runner On Point


Snapshot_20120123_11
Finished size is 16 1/2” x 50 1/2
I have been wanting to do a table runner. I found a nice  pattern in McCalls October magazine issue . I have adjusted it a bit in the size, but the  possibilities are endless. I want everyone to know that you can cut the pieces without the cutting mat and the clear ruler. It will take more time, but I have done it.
What you will need:
*  5  fat quarters or you can get a couple more. Mine were in a pack, and I reused a couple of the colors.
* Thread to match or stand out. Again your choice.
* Batting 22” x 56”
* 3/4 yard of  backing fabric.  1 yard if you would like to make your binding out of this as well.
*1/2 inch binding. This time, I got a handy, bias tape maker.
First, I cut all the pieces out and laid them in the order I would like them to be sewn together. 
513
Middle Square 10 3/8 x 10 3/8  * 12 small squares 2 1/2”x 2 1/2” * 2 strips 2 1/2” x 10 3/8 * 2 strips cut 2 1/2” x 12 3/8” * Then you will cut 4 strips of each additional color 2 1/2” x 12 3/8” (starting with flame print, grey with circles, orange with dots, white with dots, and the last row of flames)  *  Cut 126” x 2 1/2” strips for binding.
Let’s get started!
499
I will be sewing the middle square. Take the first row of two strips 2 1/2” x 10 3/8”  and lay them as shown above here.
516
Turn small square over onto long strip and sew 1/4 inch seam.  Press the seam towards darker colored fabric.
517
Take the long strip and put that right side together with large  square and sew.
519
Now take the bottom strip that has been sewn. Turn it, right sides together, making sure that line of small 2 1/2”  square  lines up with seam of orange square and grey fabric seam. I pinned this in place and sew. I flipped the square around and applied the two long strips  2 1/2” x 12 3/8” and 2 1/2” block together on the other side. This formed the base of the runner.
505
Now, I have laid out the next rows  to sew on the side. I have turned small square onto strip and sewn.
506
Then, press the seam down, and sew right sides of long strip and middle square together. I will then press that seam out. Turn up the  bottom piece and attach it. Continue until your rows are complete.
507

508.
Congratulations, one side is complete. I took my first break here. I find that when I get tired,I tend to make mistakes. We will  turn and repeat on the other side.
527
This is what I mean by the seams being pressed down. It will keep the points looking fantastic (seen below)!
528
Snapshot_20120121
I decided to trim my edges, 1 1/2'’ from the top of the middle point. You can also cut excess  from the tip of the point of middle block. Really, it is about preference. Also, you can lie the runner face up and cut it on one side and then the other. You can also fold it in half long ways and cut get both sides in one swipe.
Snapshot_20120121_4
Snapshot_20120121_3
In order to get the binding length measurements, I folded it in half and  measured. Write this number down. The next measurement was on one angle to point (as shown above). Add those 2 numbers and multiply this by 2 and add 10. This is where I come up with  126”.  With that being done, I will sandwich my front,batting, and backing. I have decided to stitch in the ditch.You want to keep the quilting right in the crease of your seam.
529
531532
The backing should look like this if you decided to stitch in the ditch. However the options for  quilting are limitless.
545
This is the back. I turned it over. I trimmed the top, and I am ready to put on binding. I bought something really cool. It is an 1” bias tape maker. I will show you. It saved soooo much time.
534
This is where you put in the fabric strip.
540
Then, slide it through to small opening at the other end.
539
From the point, you hold the strip coming out the left side of photo and put from attachment. I really is simple! I sewed the binding on just like in oven mitts tutorial. There’s one slight difference. When you get the point you will stop 1/4” from point. 

Snapshot_20120123
Turn end up. This makes a little angle here.
Snapshot_20120123_1
Leaving finger there, flip binding back down.
Snapshot_20120123_2
Sew up to edge, needle down, and turn.
 Snapshot_20120123_3.
Snapshot_20120123_10

It always feels successful to finish a project! I already have my next project planned out.








No comments

Post a Comment

© Quilty Dream
Maira Gall