January 30, 2012

Blueberry Breakfast Cake


107
I am still working on the next project. They don’t always work out. This Blueberry Breakfast Cake is the second attempt.  I am glad I gave this recipe  another try. It is AMAZING! It’s not to sweet. I love me some blueberries. I got recipe here.
http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/06/29/buttermilk-blueberry-breakfast-cake/
I did make just small adjustments. So, lets do this.
You will need:
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp. lemon juice (I don’t keep lemons. So, I substituted here.)
almost 1 cup minus  1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling on top.
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries (about 11 oz container will work)
½ cup buttermilk Before we get started, here are the tips for this recipe. I did frozen blueberries.  They need to be dry or as dry as you can get them. It will not cook right ( I botched that up, the first time.) Also, I didn’t have buttermilk the first time. So, I put the lemon juice in the milk and let it sit. The second time around, I just used buttermilk. I don’t know if it will make a difference to the taste or texture. I also used salted butter, and I could tell the difference. So, I would highly suggest that you use salted butter as well. This time, I didn’t want to take a chance. The original recipe calls for 9x9. I used 8x8.  Aparently, I have 3 that size. Thank goodness, it came out very good. The smell while cooking is mouth watering!
Snapshot_20120130
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. It will cook about 35 to 45 minutes. You will need to cream the butter and sugar. I cheated on room temp butter. (20 seconds in microwave) You will need to keep a close eye on it though. Just mash the butter and sugar together, until they are really mixed. Combine egg and vanilla. Mix in  the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt. While adding flour, alternate with buttermilk. Seperately,  mix  blueberries  with ¼ cup of flour. Now, mix in the blueberries. Make sure that they are mixed throughout the doughy mixture. The dough should be like a thick consistency like a cookie or bread dough.  Grease or pam the bottom of the pan. I smoothed the dough flat. My son, Jared, was helping me today. :) Snapshot_20120130_3 Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. I baked this for about 45 minutes. I checked on it twice after 35 minutes. It should become golden brown, but not to dark on top. 107 It could’ve stayed in a bit longer, but I like my cakes to be just a little moist. Let this sit 10 to 15 minutes after it comes out of the oven. The blueberries are slightly melted and very hot.
112
It looks beautiful! I only made nine slices. Haha! Jared enjoyed it too. If I could impress upon you the goodness. Mmmm..mmm.
115
Alright, my tummy is satisfied.  Now, it’s time to clean and sew. Back to the grind. I hope you try this one! I know, I will be making this again.








No comments

Post a Comment

© Quilty Dream
Maira Gall