March 7, 2012

Sweet Chain Block

IMAG0087
I didn’t have enough of the fabric for all the sawtooth stars for my queen quilt. Wouldn’t you know, they didn’t have any of that fabric left. I checked everywhere. I saw this online at Joann’s. It’s a coordinating fabric. I thought the pattern was smaller, but this is what I got in the mail. This will make a pretty secondary design. Finally, I can get this finished.
Chain 10'’ block. These are the cuts:
Dark Fabric
1 (5½"-wide) strip of fabric.  From strip, cut 4
(5½" x 3") rectangles.
1 (3'’ –wide)strip  
3 (1¾"-wide)strips for strip sets.
Light Fabric
1 (3"-wide) strip for strip sets
3 (1¾"-wide) strips for strip sets
*all fabric strips were cut from 44'’ width fabric.

IMAG0061
I cut my width of fabric 5 1/2” and cut my strips down to 3”.
IMAG0148
This is the 3 strips cut at  1 3/4”. On the right is the 3” strip.
IMAG0155
This is my 1 3/4” strip to be cut.
IMAG0157
It’s basically the same for both colors. Except the dark has the 5 1/2 inch strip. Then, cut that into 5  1/2 inch by 3” pieces.
IMAG0062
Take one of each 1 3/4 inch strips. Put right sides together. Shown here above and sew a quarter inch seam all the way down the length on one side.
IMAG0064
then press open.
IMAG0069
Then cut 1 3/4 pieces off of the strip.
IMAG0070
Turn on around so it looks like this
IMAG0071
Then, fold one over onto the other and sew 1/4 inch seam.
IMAG0073
This is what it will look like pressed open with the iron.
IMAG0066
Next, take 3 inch light strip pattern side up. Next, place a 1 3/4 inch strip right sides together on either side. You can sew this one side at a time, but I just pinned both down and sew one side and then the other. Once I sewed this strip set, I cut the white selvage. It didn’t interfere with the sewing. I am sure the picture would’ve been better if I trimmed first.
IMAG0067
I will look like this. That the fabric to iron.
IMAG0068
Press open. Then, you will cut 1  3 inch segment from the strip.
IMAG0128
This one is put together the same as previous one. Then, cut 2 1  3/4 inch pieces.
IMAG0072
I laid them out together.
IMAG0074.
Turn your outside pieces to the inside. Do the top row, the same. Then, sew them together at each end.
IMAG0078
Lay the row right above middle.
IMAG0079
Then, put the row right below on the bottom of middle piece.
IMAG0081
Now lay each of the left and right pieces on the middle.
IMAG0082
IMAG0085
Once all three rows are complete, you will sew the top and bottom to the middle piece. Make sure that you line your seams up well.
IMAG0087
The blocks will be alternating on the quilt. Pattern found on http://www.heyquilty.com. The important thing about this block is the X in the middle. I have sewn them together and the points were the wrong way. It gets frustrating.  This time I learned that  I WILL  buy all the fabrics I need  at one time. Several times, I have gone back for more and found that it wasn’t there anymore.  Even, overestimating is good. I had to rearrange the design on this one. This is when I have to really be creative. I am going do 60”x80”. This is the length and width of mattress top and add a border or two for the sides.  Hope you enjoyed. Happy sewing.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Quilty Dream
Maira Gall