March 14, 2012

No Binding Pot Holder


IMAG0053
This was pretty simple. It took  about an hour. I took a paper plate shaved down a bit on the sides. I have seen the oval pot holders in Target. I wanted something along those lines.
I did get material from target. It was a dish towel. The orange is just cotton.
You will need:
1/4 yard of decorative fabric and complimentary fabric. Cut two pieces for the front and back of the oval and 2 pieces for the front and back of pocket. 1 piece of heat resistant batting each piece. 3” by 1/4” piece of binding.

. IMAG0026
I just cut out the outer circular piece using paper plate as template.  Tip: salad plate may work. 
IMAG0027
Once the outer circle was cut, I took a piece of paper and cut off about a 1/4” for the outer pocket. I used pins around the outer edge to make sure that my hand would fit and feel comfortable.
IMAG0029

IMAG0030
This is just showing me cutting both of the back coordinating fabric.
IMAG0031
IMAG0033
This is the 3rd part, cutting the heat resistant batting.
IMAG0035
Now the layers go like this, heat resistant batting,back and front with right sides together.
IMAG0038
You will sew a quarter inch seam around the outside leaving a gap for turning. the picture also shows that along the curve edge I have cut in slits to make fabric curve easier.
IMAG0040
On the pocket, there will be two points on each side. Cut those corners off. This will make for less bulk once it is turned.
IMAG0041
Here is the gap we left for turning.
IMAG0042
I hand sewed the open gap. You can also sew it down right on that edge.
IMAG0047
I decided on a simple quilting pattern. Just a few spirals. I used the foot as my guide.
IMAG0048
This is piece that was cut for loop.
IMAG0051
Fold in in half. The angle piece at the bottom will be towards the outer edge of circle.
IMAG0052
Pin this down.
IMAG0053
Sew the two pieces together where the  loop is meeting the edge of the circle.That way I could back stitch and give it more security.
IMAG0054
This the back, and it turned out really well.
There are always things that you can use as a template. Paper, newspaper, or a plate about the right size. The shape can be as complex as a heart,apple, or cupcake. Just be creative. You can always start with something simple and work your way to something bigger. You could just jump in as well. I did get a new camera and will be working on lighting. It seems that the dining area doesn’t have enough natural light. There aren’t any windows. I also wanted to suggest that if you are cutting on your kitchen table, like me, you may want to get bed lifters for it. My husband does wood working. So, I will get him to cut 4 blocks for me. Thanks for visiting. I hope you enjoyed.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Quilty Dream
Maira Gall