October 12, 2013

Small Circle Applique

I am having a glitch with these small circles. I am in need of  advice or help. Please read on...  I am working on the circle quilt.

So, I have figured out how to turn the rings. That wasn't a very big issue, and they are looking pristine. I want these quarter sized circles to have that same turned edge.  Am I off my rocker, thinking that this can be done effectively???
 

 
The small circles have me pulling my hair out! So, the first one on the left looks like a small asteroid. An asteroid... not what I was looking for at all.  The second one, I tried to avoid getting any points in it by putting the stitch length to 1 instead of 2. This helped, but not that much. :(


 
This is the second attempt. Hideous, but I'm keeping it real. This is my mock up piece. So, that I could work out the kinks.
 
.
 
This is what I came up with...
 I used aluminum foil to fold the fabric around the circle cardboard template. I pressed with an iron. I pulled off the foil, pulled out template, and glued this to the quilt. The glue is what you see  around the circle. It will wash out. I am not worried about that part. Sorry, that it's messy.
What I am concerned about is the clean look. The only thing I haven't tried is hand turning. I am not sure what to do here, or if the picture below is at the level that can be added to the quilt??
Please help! Someone somewhere must have a brilliant idea to share....I hope so! I will continue to work on the big rings while I am waiting on my fellow wonderful, awesome,brilliant ...you get the drift...quilters to help. Thank you in advance. :)

No comments

Post a Comment

© Quilty Dream
Maira Gall