April 4, 2016

Partner Emails and Details- Swap Series

So, you are signed up for the swap. You are waiting on your partner info to come out. Mosaic is done. You have the send dates. Ok, so we know the dates,swap mama, and partner info is out. Getting your partner info is an exciting day. Normally, we like to skip all the blah,blah,blah and get to the good stuff. I know you do it too. Those emails can be lengthy.  Once you get a look at your partner and have some idea of who they are, let's go back to the email with the details.

Seriously, almost all swap information or questions you have should be able to be answered by looking at your partner email. You should really save this email. I have a swap folder in my yahoo. I also like to send a backup to my other email address. Also, this email could have a response required letting your swap mama know that you received it. So, be sure and send a quick reply to your host or moderator letting them know you got it. I have told you that the swap mama is the main host. Now, a moderator is someone that is helping the host. Sometimes, you are grouped and these groups can have special names or hashtags. Then, these groups are ran by the moderators who communicates to the swap mama.

Swap Requirements

Yep, swaps have rules. Each swap mama is different. She/he likes things thier way and that is great. Sometimes, there are mandatory check ins  and mandatory  progress shots. She could require you to post 3 pictures. You may be contacted by email or tagged on Instagram. Some swap mamas are very strict. Let's say you miss these check ins, you can or could be dropped from the swap. Really?!?! Why yes, they can do that. It is their swap and their rules. In their defense, they have a lot of running around to do behind the scenes. They have to track you and keep up with the moderators. Please believe that it is all very necessary. 

 Not checking in or posting progress is a #1 red flag that you are a flaker or taker. 

Yes, flakers and takers exist. It is the worst thing that happens in a swap. That means, that they received a  package and never sent a package. Sometimes, they change their IG name. They could even say ugly things about the swap to cover up their wrong doings. All excuses are made, which have included job loss, sickness, money problems,car problems, and surgery. When these situtations are real,  a normal or good swapper will notify their swap mama or moderator immediately. They don't wait til weeks after the shipping deadline or until days before the shipping deadlines. Obviously, you knew you were pregnant and what the due date was in said swap. It happens all the time. At the end of the day, an angel will be needed. 

Swap Angels

These are people that offer to send a package to a person who's partner didn't send for whatever reason. At this point, it really doesn't matter why the other person doesn't send, it matters that if someone sent a package, they should get one. That is the right thing to do. Angels do not get anything in return. They give out of the goodness of their heart. I have been on the receiving and giving end of being an angel. Thank you to all the angels that make it possible to keep swaps going strong. You rock!

Let's be clear, an average package costs minimum of $20.00- $50.00 dollars.

Withholding Packages

This is a major no-no in (my) swaps. What this means is that you are not sending until you receive a package. It is really horrible if angels are needed. Because if an angel has to send to you and your partner, you have created twice the work. If you are in my swap, the rule is simple, ship on time. Once angels are provided, you are not getting an angel package until I have verified that you have shipped and not until then. Sometimes, people will ship way after their partner has received an angel package, and they have the nerve to want an angel package. No way that is happening. 

Naughty Listers

So, we know now what flakers, takers, and rule breakers are in a swap. The naughty list was implemented to use as a tool for swap mamas. If someone signs up for 40 swaps, and flakes on not just one but ALL of them (based on a true story). They can be tracked on this list. A swap mama can add people to this list for any number of reasons. While the naughty list is a scary thing to some swappers, because noone wants to be on it. It was made and is in place to keep flakers and takers out of swaps. If used in the wrong way, anything can be bad. So, use care in the information that you see here or what the information says. You have to use your best judgement, and that is with anything in life. The major thing about a swapper that I want to know is  "are going to send". That is my #1 priority as a swap mama in (my) swap. This is the nuclear stress level indicator, if 17 people haven't send, and today is the deadline. Also, if you try to do your best, chances are you are a good swapper. If you are reading this, you are probably a good swapper. Honestly,  I have missed a check in or two and forgotten to post a mosaic in a timely manner.  They had to email me or tag me. It happens once in a great while. We are human.

...and I keep coming back for more.

Red Flags

I field so many emails. I/we (anyone who is helping in the swap) care about my/our swappers. I look at all your feeds and take time out of my day to help you. So, here are my red flags.
Nothing quilty in your feed. Private profiles, non-communicators, lack of any interaction. These are signs of a non-sender. 95% of the time. Also, these are things that you can look for from  your  swap partner. Life is busy. Sometimes, people don't post when things get busy, or they are travelling. You know something is going on  in their life, though. You should contact your swap mama as soon as possible. Name changes can be a red flag as well. Sometimes, it is no big deal, but it is if I don't know what the name was changed to or your partner doesn't know. If someone is new to IG, that is fine. I know that new people deserve a chance. Sometimes, people take new swappers. You may have some quilted items that you can upload or other social media. Maybe you are on Flickr. In this case, Starbucks Mug Rug swap does vouching, and it works! I will go in to that on a different post. 

Swap Mama Business
This is from a swap mama perspective, please understand that I get it as a friend. 

I get a lot of emails about many different things from swappers. #1 email is  that their partner is private (insert headache here) My partner doesn't have anything quilty in  her IG feed. What do I do? So, go back to red flags. For a private account or non- quilty item people, your  partner is trying to make something for you. If you are private, noone in the group can see or comment on anything that you post. They have to send a friend request, and then you know who your partner. It ruins the surprise. I normally don't friend my partner. I love surprises. I tell someone that sends this type of email that i will request them to either make profile public or give some other type of social media. Also, that if it doesn't change, they will get what they get. Feedback from a private account holder  is normally not good. They don't seem to understand why it matters. Hello?!?! Seriously, if you are private, you probably shouldn't be swapping on public social media. That is just the hard truth. You could think about making a profile just for swapping, if you have issues that need privacy. Swapping on social media is a social event. This is my biggest pet peeve of a swapper. It happens in my starbucks mug rug swap. I let them know many times throughout the swap that private accounts are not good. Newbies that don't know that they are private, no big deal. If you go back in the series, I go over how you can make your account public. Is it time for closed captioning....

I don't get it at all. Private accounts can't be seen by other swappers. If you post, we can see nothing.  So, what is the point? Seriously, if there is an answer, I would love to know.

My skinny pincushion swap, I sent out all IG names to avoid any private account issues, in that case it doesn't matter if you are private. 


Newbies
I would always suggest to start with something small and work your way up. Some people can get in over their heads, and I can understand how. There's a swap for everything! They are extremely fun. Until you know the ins and outs and time that it takes to get things done, you should pace yourself. There will always be more swaps. These are all the tid bits about being behind the scenes in a swap. The best advice I could give you (a newbie) is to do your best. Look on youtube. Learn how to sew binding. Learn or try a new technique. I love to use my swaps as a place to try something new, and if it doesn't work out. Make something else, leave yourself some time to come up with another idea.


Even though some of this sounds crazy. It seems like none of this should be happening. It really does and then some. I keep coming back. Don't take this stuff in a negative way. Take this as a learning experience and have fun. Just remember, stay involved, post some pics, and send on time.
You will be stellar!

Also, these are just some of the things that happen. All of the above is subject to change at any time.
Swap mamas can be stern or lenient based on the situation. Like I said above, all swap mamas are different. If you communicate with me, I am very reasonable and more apt to work with you in a swap.
I hope this has been helpful and have fun swapping!


4 comments

  1. Thanks for the great information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a love/hate relationship sometimes with the swaps. It is hard hosing sometimes. It is also hard to be hard on them. Especially, when I know them pretty well. I am way too lenient. I am glad you thought it was a good read.

      Delete
  2. Great information! BTW, I'm a newbie to SWAPS only. I've been quilting for over 15 years! I've been totally stalking the #starbucksmugrugswap feed and will patiently wait until somebody lets me is because y'all are an amazing group of crafty people!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My God yvonne Campbell mother of two Kids who stolen there money

    ReplyDelete

© Quilty Dream
Maira Gall