The pictures are a little on the dark side, I apologize, it was a bit rainy out. Maybe, I can get the hubby to get me a new camera soon. That would be awesome...we'll see. Then, I will have to learn how to use it.
Just a side note, we had snow flurries in the panhandle of Florida today. It isn't normal for that to happen. That's what was going on in my backyard.
Materials: Rotary cutter, ruler, scissors, elastic (to match if you like) Mid weight interfacing and fabric.
First, I cut all pieces:
Exterior fabric Interior fabric Interfacing Cut 1 of each: 5 1/2 x 7 3/4 inches
* If you want to piece it together like I did, I started with the interfacing and used the quilt as you go method building it out until it covers the interfacing and trim any extras off.
Two flaps Cut: 5 1/2 x 5 inches.
Elastic Cut: 6 inches
One mini composition book. 4.5x 3.25 inch book
I already did my piecing to the interfacing above and all my items are ready to go. You have done most of the work at this point. :)
I have taken the two flaps here and folded the 5 inch side in half. I top stitched each one 1/8 inch to the right of the fold. Then I laid them on each side of the interior fabric matching the outer edges. I sewed each flap around the top, outer edge and bottom at 1/8 inch (close to the edge) just to stabilize the flaps to the interior fabric.
So, it's like a little pocket.
Now, I took pictures of the first one, and in this photo the elastic is too close to the edge and a little tight. I didn't take photos of the 2nd mini until the finish, but you can see in the photo that I placed this on the right side of the exterior fabric. I placed the elastic 1 inch from the right edge on the amended version. I also amended the second mini, so that there was room to put a finger underneath it comfortably. I tacked it down on top and bottom 1/8 inch from the edge by sewing back and forth over the elastic a couple times to make sure that the elastic is secure.
Now, I have placed the right sides of the fabric together. I am going to sew all the way around with a generous 1/4 inch seam leaving about 3 to 4 inches opening for turning. This is shown in picture above between where my fingers are at the bottom.
I have clipped the corners for less bulk. When you are turning it out. You can use something pointy like a chopstick or something like that to poke into the corners.
Now, I topstitched 1/8 around the edge just to give it a finished look. I didn't topstitch on the elastic. I moved the elastic out to the right to avoid sewing. It wasn't that hard to maneuver. Now, I topstitched with the inside up. Really, I should have topstitched on the outside. Seriously, rookie mistake, but I didn't want to make a 3rd one, today. I love them, but 2 is good for one day.
Here's the outside. I tried some craft fuse. It's what I had on hand. I had some interfacing, but it was on top in the drawer. So, that's what I used. I didn't like it because it didn't hold up well on the corners when I wrapped the elastic around it. So, in this photo, it's mid weight will be fine. It is a little fussy to turn, but not bad. I think if you use heavy weight, it would make it more difficult to turn.
I hope that this tutorial is easy to follow and you enjoy making some of your own. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.
Linking up with